Monday, September 7, 2009

This Post is for the Children


Tomorrow will be a monumental day in 2009. Yes September 8th is my sister's birthday but I have more important matters to blog about; the release of Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part II.
It's been 14 years since the first Cuban Linx dropped and Raekwon has made a few albums since then but this is the one all of us Wu Bangers have been waiting for since it's announcement in 2005.

If you have listened to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, you will know what Rae (and Ghost) are capable of. It is widely considered one of the best hip hop albums of all time. It might not be my number one but it's in my top five. The album appealed to me on many different levels. The beats and the lyrics are on point. There isn't a filler track on the whole album, the Rza produced a gem of a record with that one. Raekwon also samples lines from one of the best movies ever, The Killer.

"Yo Meth, where my Killer tape at?"

Now if you haven't seen The Killer, I would highly recommend. It is possibly my favourite movie and is a definite cult classic. I would argue that this is the best action movie of all time and is one of the most TRUCULENT(!!!1) movies EVAR! It's a John Woo flick (and his best one) so you know there's a lot of artistic shoot outs, a ton of blood, infinite ammo and doves!

I ended up downloading a leaked copy of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part II because I just couldn't wait. Despite all the hype attached to an album that has been delayed a billion times since it's announcement (see Chinese Democracy), it does not disappoint. This album is a certified classic and I may like it even more than the first Cuban Linx!

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow and I hope you do too because it will be a travesty if a complete half-assed effort like Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 outsells a true hip hop album like this.

DON'T SLEEP!